PDA

Просмотр полной версии : How do u manage to follow your wingman during CAP?

Breadfan
19.01.2004, 06:14
I was flying formation with my wingman (he was leading) and I've found it difficult to match his speed ie. I had to constantly adjust my throttle in order to position myself right beside him. Is there a way to make this more simple or the real life pilots also have to change the speed all the time during formation flights?

Thx,

Breadfan

AlphaWhiskey
19.01.2004, 07:03
Oh no - it is this hard.

I watched a fighter pilot mimic flying in a "res cell" formation (within hundreds of feet of another jet so as to conceal the true number of aircraft in their formation - radar can't separate them if they are too close).

He was holding his fists like they were controlling the stick and throttle and he was just making quick tight little circles and looking over his shoulder.

Its hard work. Very hard.

And when they're flying like that - the person flying in formation that close can't use his own radar... he's concentrating too much on flying.

That's another thing that makes a two-seater advantageous. One can fly, the other can operate the weapons systems. Not just in air to ground, but as we see here, in air to air.

RB
19.01.2004, 08:00
Well, I'm not a fighter pilot, but did try to fly in formation in the real life. Yes it's kind of difficult unless you have a good practice and know your power settings. Also it's kind of team work. The lead suppose to know what kind of maneuvers to perform so you can follow him with no problems. For example If the lead applies full power there is no way you can catch up with him...

Han
19.01.2004, 08:19
May I? :)
In LO AI planes has fluctuating speed to make feeling of "real pilot, not AI in cocpit of the bot's planes).
BUT
The acceleration of this fluctuate is more, then five times higher, then same acceleration then I'm piloting the same plane in same situation. The amplitude of this fluctuation even less, then it must be for an "exelent" pilot (in LO +-7 kmh-1, in real +-15 kmh-1 (the standart "perfect" normative of russian AF is +-20km/h)

Sorry for my english :)

Breadfan
19.01.2004, 16:08
Originally posted by AlphaWhiskey
Oh no - it is this hard.

I watched a fighter pilot mimic flying in a "res cell" formation (within hundreds of feet of another jet so as to conceal the true number of aircraft in their formation - radar can't separate them if they are too close).

He was holding his fists like they were controlling the stick and throttle and he was just making quick tight little circles and looking over his shoulder.

Its hard work. Very hard.

And when they're flying like that - the person flying in formation that close can't use his own radar... he's concentrating too much on flying.

That's another thing that makes a two-seater advantageous. One can fly, the other can operate the weapons systems. Not just in air to ground, but as we see here, in air to air.

Thanks for the info! I feel much better knowing it's not me and that it really IS tricky thing to do. When u look at it, it seems easy but it's definetelly not! ;)

Breadfan

AlphaWhiskey
19.01.2004, 19:46
Ooh. Language barrier, Han.

Okay - are you saying the AI (pretending to be humans) vary their power excessively to give the appearance of being human?

Foxbat (FOX)
20.01.2004, 01:20
Yes, he said exactly this.:)

Han
20.01.2004, 14:06
2 AlphaWhiskey:
"Ooh. Language barrier, Han."
Yes, it's realy sucks :D :D :D

You right, I'll try to tell it in another words, for much understanding of this bug.

Not power - speed.
It's human must vary their power to keep constant speed (becouse you can't set power so presictionly, how it needed to keep speed in 10kph corridor).In horisontal flight (if you have experience) you vary power by +-1, maximum +-2%. At this case the speed will change maximum by 10-15kph in 30 seconds (0.5kph per second).

To make a feeling of reality of AI pilots their planes have a noise in their speed. It can be good, but frequency of this noise is too high, and speedchanging can reach 7kph in 3 seconds (2.3kph per second) - in 3-5 times higher acceleration, then it makes by experies human.

When plane are piloted by not highly experies human, then acceleration is on seme lavel, but amplitude of speed noise is higher in 2-3 times.

Breadfan
20.01.2004, 15:34
So, you're saying basically it's the AI making it difficult for us to follow its plane? I always had a feeling it's the AI..if it was the real guy, he would be much more easier to fly with..

Breadfan

Han
20.01.2004, 15:40
It's realy so - it's much easer in OnLine flights to fly with human

AlphaWhiskey
21.01.2004, 08:25
good explanation - thank you very much

now I understand

Well - I definitely applaud the devs for taking this issue on. It can be improved and I'm sure it will be. But grateful for the attempt nonetheless.