PDA

Просмотр полной версии : your opinion requested

AlphaWhiskey
24.01.2004, 20:24
Some time back (couple/few years?) Matt Wagner, producer of Janes F-18 and now LOCKON, wrote a piece for an online squadron:
http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/62ndff/dispatches/dispatches/selected/toorealistic.htm

It deals with realistic capabilities and limitations of Russian avionics.

I wanted to get your opinion of this piece.

Some of the limitations presented in the article are surprising to western observers.

Can you think of other characteristics of Russian radar systems and avionics that Mr Wagner left out?

Han
24.01.2004, 22:34
Avionics
Using the Zone switch, the center of the scan pattern can be on the nose or 40 degrees left or right of the nose. It should not be slewable as it is the sim.
Not 40 degrees, it is 30.

Total gimbal limits of the radar are 65 degrees in azimuth. The beam width is 3.5 degrees. I believe it's around 50 degrees in the sim.

Iw is 60 degrees. On MiG-29 it is 55degrees. In LO it is 60 degrees.

The radar requires 3.7 to 4.6 seconds to completes a 4 bar scan depending upon the mode and the range of the acquisition symbol. Thus we need to adjust target update times. As it stands now, there is too high of an update rate while in search.

On Su-27 TWS mode is allways on. But it can track only 10 targets. Totaly it can see 24 marks from targets, and 10 mos dangerous marks will be seen in TWS mode.
In LO - all targets is in TWS mode, it is a BUG.

Close Combat is used to lock on to targets in the visual arena at ranges out to 9 km. Close Combat uses a 2 bar vertical scan from -13 to +45 degrees in elevation and -/+ 3 degrees in azimuth. Lock on is not automatic as the pilot must still depress the lock on button.
On Su-27 you must press "ENTER" button on the throttle to lock the target.
On MiG-29 you must press "Lock" button on the rudder.

Track-While-Fly is a pseudo track-while-scan mode that can be used in conjunction with the Head-On or Auto modes. Up to ten targets can be monitored in search, and the radar will automatically prioritize targets based on the Vc and range. The highest priority target will then be automatically tracked when reaching Rmax plus 10 percent for the selected missile. This mode has limited usefulness as it provides no increase in situational awareness and does not allow the pilot to control where the radar is pointed once the computer has made its determination as to the priority target. [/qoute]
I do not know, how on MiG-29, but on Su-27 TWS working allways.

Targets displayed on the HUD and HDD are displayed as three dots in a horizontal line.
There is a target designation rectangle that is slewable on the HDD display.
Search targets are always displayed relative to the center of the scan and not their position relative to the nose. For example, with the Zone switch in the left position, a target that is displayed to the far right of the scope is actually about 15 to 20 degrees left of the nose, not gimbaling right as we might expect.
Once commanded, a full system lock on may take up to ten seconds. As it is now, it only takes 1 to 2 secs.
The IRST has a very limited capability in the forward quarter and is unusable for BVR target detection and tracking.
[quote]Only the highest priority threat, as determined by the system, is displayed on the SPO-15 RWR gear.
Not right. SPO-15 show all theats (green dots (inner radius)) and main theat (orange dots on outer radius), and the strenght of signal (square dots around plane).

The system has no capability to detect pulse doppler radars in track-while-scan mode.
It's not show, thet it is a TWS, but it is shown like a observe theat.

To prevent false target indications, the forward RWR antennas are blocked during radar transmissions. This is very important to note: if the radar is in operation, the pilot will get NO RWR warning from a forward quarter emitter.

It is true.

There are no RWR indicators on the HDD as there is in the sim.
There is a RWR indicators on russian planes on HDD?????

Need to model director gun sight settling. As it is now, the DGS is a virtual "death dot"--this shouldn't be so.

Pleese, tell me? what it is mean, I do not understand this words... :)

Han
24.01.2004, 22:37
2AlphaWhiskey:

Now I want to ask you a question:
Have you some information about limitations of F-15A/C avionics (Radar, RWR, ECM)?

AlphaWhiskey
25.01.2004, 09:38
By the way gents, I failed to explicitly mention - his remarks were aimed at the previous generation flight simulation: Flanker2

And, no - don't have any special info about the Eagle. That info is kept pretty close to the chest. What is known is published in public. As far as I know, these sources are referenced and used in the sim. :confused: As far as I know, the sim follows that pretty well. (Also, many sims are built featuring western jets - they're all somewhat similar.) But I'm no expert there.

And I'm certainly no expert on the Russian side of things. *You* guys are the experts on that! :)

Liosha
18.02.2004, 03:47
Originally posted by Han

On MiG-29 you must press "Lock" button on the rudder.

How can you press a button on the rudder? As far as i know it doesn't have any buttons.

Han
18.02.2004, 19:48
Ups, not rudder, I was mean throttle stick :)