PDA

Ïðîñìîòð ïîëíîé âåðñèè : Questions about padlocking in LOMAC

eduardhc
05.02.2004, 21:01
First of all, hello to everybody, because this is my first post here.

I have some questions regarding "padlock" feature: I've been playing Falcon 4 (yes, me too;)) for quite a time, and I've started playing LOMAC now. It's really amazing, impressive. Graphics are great, avionics are powerful (although less complex that what I'm used to in F4, but I don't think this is so important...).
But I do REALLY miss an "Enhanced Padlock" function like there is in F4. You know, a key that when pressed, points your head (and locks it) to the nearest threat / plane / missile / whatever it is, EVEN IF IT'S NOT IN YOUR CURRENT FOV. The locked item is choosen if function of its danger, your current mode, etc..., and subsequent items are locked by every press of the key.

Perhaps it's that I'm missing something (although I promise you I've RTFM complete, and searched all the key cards I've seen), but I've haven't found anything like that, so I assume it's designed this way.

The problem is that is really a pain in the *** to follow (or even locate) an object using the FOV switch in the joystick and then "padlock" it. And I think it's absolutely unrealistic, because in RL a pilot just have to turn its head and keeps his fingers occuped in more important things.

The same think applies to the HMS: it would be great if this were automatically slaved to the target locked this way by padlock, then it would really show all his efficiency, because now it's not an HMS but a FMS: Finger Mounted Sight (sorry, could'nt resist:D).

What do you think?

Best regards,
Eduard

Han
05.02.2004, 23:42
Padlock is a cheat.
In real life pilot can't push a button to see an a obgect. In real life pilot must THINK there terget may be located. Padlok make this for a pilot automaticaly, and becourse of this skill of pilot is does not matter. It is mean, thet it is a cheat.

eduardhc
06.02.2004, 00:57
Sure, but in RL a pilot has a LOT more visibility then the little computer screen. Even more, they don't have to look around using his finger as we do. I think an "intelligent" padlocking adequately compensates this, in addition that the fact your screem has a very low resolution compared to what you would see in RL.

This has been a very old subject of discussion in F4, and I know a lot of virtual squadrons have end up by using this kind of "enhanced padlocking" without considering it a "cheat".

Here you are even an article of a real f-16 pilot talking about it. I think it's worth a read:

http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/?id=11&aid=45

Anyway, I think it would be a good addition to the sim, and then let people decide if it's cheating or not. After all, we have the "invulnerability" option, and that's a LOT more cheating, isn't it;)?

Best regards,
Eduard

Originally posted by Han
Padlock is a cheat.
In real life pilot can't push a button to see an a obgect. In real life pilot must THINK there terget may be located. Padlok make this for a pilot automaticaly, and becourse of this skill of pilot is does not matter. It is mean, thet it is a cheat.

KACATKA
06.02.2004, 01:42
Han, whether it is cheat or not this is a personal question of a virtual pilot.

It is modelled in Lockon, so we have to accept it as it is.

Han
06.02.2004, 10:29
Thanks to ED - padlock is a swichable option, which can be turned off for all net clients by server.

eduardhc
06.02.2004, 11:50
Originally posted by KACATKA
Han, whether it is cheat or not this is a personal question of a virtual pilot.

It is modelled in Lockon, so we have to accept it as it is.

Yes, it is. In fact, what I was asking for is some sort of an enhanced, smarter, padlock option (of course it could be disabled) that automatically points your head to the nearest fighter / incoming missile, etc... I know there are people who, when dogfighting, end up by using F5 to locate enemies using external view, because doing it trough POV on joystick is absolutely a pain.

The current situation is like we were a real pilot sitting on a cockpit under an opaque canopy, and having only one little transparent, glass window in it that must be moved around using a switch on its HOTAS. Realistic? I don't think so.

The same think applies to the HMS system. If it were slaved to this kind of padlock, I think it would show the real advantage it offers, not as now.

Best regards,
Eduard

Han
06.02.2004, 13:05
Yes. It is. But in real the possibility of locating of object is consist of skill of the pilot. His knowledges. His experience. In virtual with padlock - it is not. With out of it - it is. IMHO it is main parameter of realism in this situation.

KACATKA
06.02.2004, 13:44
stop stop guys.. =)

I repeat, Han, the eduardhc's question is not about whether padlock is cheat or not, but about the way how it is done in Lockon.

eduardhc, I'll ask someone from ED to comment on your question.

eduardhc
06.02.2004, 14:04
Sure, I totally agree with it. I repeat, though, that the problem is the narrow FOV you have in a sim, which must be panned around in order to find the threatening (or not) items using your fingers, which is a lot more stressant that what a real pilot would do (just turn his head). That's even more difficult if you are at the same time trying to manouver your jet while the other one is manouvering too.

In other words, in current implementation you are not demonstrating good combat skills but a high degree of keyboard/joystick domination;). My IMHO, at least.

I agree with you, though, that F4 padlocking is a little bit "too" smart. Perhaps reducing the distance at which objects are padlocked (or some kind of more complex algorithm, who knows) would be sure more adequate to reality.

Best regards, anyway. I think it's an interesting discussion theme.

Eduard

Originally posted by Han
Yes. It is. But in real the possibility of locating of object is consist of skill of the pilot. His knowledges. His experience. In virtual with padlock - it is not. With out of it - it is. IMHO it is main parameter of realism in this situation.

Han
06.02.2004, 14:15
Ok. :)

Chizh
09.02.2004, 16:43
Hi eduardhc

Now in LOMAC is present that smart-chit padlock for incoming missiles. ;)
Shift-Key Pad Del – padlock for all missiles
Alt-Key Pad Del – padlock for incoming missiles
For unlock missiles – press Key Pad Del
That mode can lock threat irrespective of your FOW.
Try it.

Good luck!

eduardhc
09.02.2004, 18:31
Originally posted by Chizh
Hi eduardhc

Now in LOMAC is present that smart-chit padlock for incoming missiles. ;)
Shift-Key Pad Del – padlock for all missiles
Alt-Key Pad Del – padlock for incoming missiles
For unlock missiles – press Key Pad Del
That mode can lock threat irrespective of your FOW.
Try it.

Good luck!

Ok, thanks a lot, I really didn't know it.

Anyway, ¿would it be really difficult to implement this kind of enhanced padlock for aircraft / objects in general? One way to avoid "cheating" would be i.e. to put every aircraft / object you get visual contact with into a "padlock list", that would be steppable using a keypress. Those objects would remain in this list as long as they keep inside "visual limits", i.e.

Of course I'm not trying to adapt LOMAC to that it would be my "ideal" game, don't take it that way, I'm just trying to give "positive" feedbacks about some aspects that I think could be improved (very humblily, of course:).

Well, anyway thanks for your tip. You are doing a very good job with this sim%)!

Best regards,
Eduard

Chizh
12.02.2004, 14:25
Well …
We shall think about this issue.