
S3D - Silent 3ditor, skwas' Silent Hunter mod tool
Copyright  2007-2008 skwas. All rights reserved.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Distribution, commercial use and or (re)selling of this program are prohibited. Developed in 2007-2008 by skwas, a game enthusiast and ubergeek  :o)

Thank you for downloading S3D - Silent 3ditor (v0.9.4)

==============================================================================


SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

-------------------

- Windows XP (32/64 bit), Windows Vista (32/64 bit)
- Computer capable of running Silent Hunter ;)

IMPORTANT! The installer included in this package does NOT install the required
components listed below. Please use the links to download the components if
you don't have them installed on your computer

- Microsoft .NET 2.0
  
    Vista users can skip this component (.NET 2 comes out of the box with Vista).
  
    For 32-bit editions of Windows:
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

    For 64-bit editions of Windows:
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B44A0000-ACF8-4FA1-AFFB-40E78D788B00&displaylang=en

- Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (Managed)

   http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

   Note to Vista users: this DirectX component can be (and must be) safely
   installed on Windows Vista!



INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
-------------------------

1. Make sure you've got the required components installed on your computer.
   See SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS for details.
2. Extract the .rar package to a location of your choice.
3. Double click the S3D_xxxx.msi file to run the installer (where xxxx 
   indicates version number).
4. Follow the steps of the installer.
5. After the installer has completed, run S3D through its start menu 
   shortcut: Start menu > skwas > Silent 3ditor (v0.9.4)


FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
--------------------------

- Q: S3D crashes when I start it.
  A: Verify you have DirectX 9.0c with Managed Extensions installed.
     See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

- Q: Can I get the source code from S3D?
  A: No, not per se. S3D is largely based on corporate code, and hence I
     can't distribute the code as is. I will be happy to help (and if 
     possible share fragments of code) if anyone requests so. In the 
     future, I do plan to release full code, after I have revised it 
     and removed private code.
     
- Q: Can I use the binaries from S3D in my own applications?
  A: No. They are copyright protected for the time being.

- Q: Don't you have documentation or a help file with S3D?
  A: Unfortunately no, only a little bit online help. I hope to get this 
     sorted at some point :(

- Q: S3D fails to load some SH3 files or some modded files.
  A: This may happen:
     a) I have not implemented every controller unique to SH3 (iow. removed
        in SH4).
     b) The file is corrupt.
     c) The file is heavily changed with other tools, and does not follow
        rules that S3D expects. If you assume this is the case, please send
        me the file(s) in question and I will change S3D if possible/needed.


FEATURES
--------

For a list of detailed improvements since previous versions, please read the 
'changelog.html' file that comes with the rar-package, or read online here:

http://sh4.skwas.net/changelog.aspx


BUGS/SUPPORT/QUESTION/SUGGESTION
--------------------------------

Please report any problem or question you have to the public thread
at subsim.com:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=119571

I will do my best to help out.

To contact me directly, install S3D and get my email address from
the about box.


CREDITS
-------

Special thanks (in random order):

CaptainCox (logo/artwork), DivingDuck (file structure, 3D), 
leovampire (08-01-2008, R.I.P.)


More thanks to (feedback, suggestions, or for just being kind :)):

Ubi, SH dev team, SubSim.com. Also, individuals: tater, Anvart, Bando,
WEBSTER, maikarant, Jace11, WilhelmTell, lurbz, Sansal, longam,
PepsiCan, UBOAT234, Digital_Trucker, DirtyHarry3033, Kaleun_Endrass,
sergbuto, SquareSteelBar, sober, jaketoox, reallydedpoet, swdw,
nautilus42, nvdrifter, kapitan_zur_see, DeepIron, panthercules,
l3th4l, Laffertytig, alamwuhk2a, privateer, g_BonE, Ducimus,
lurker_hlb3, haegemon, wildchild, urfisch, LukeFF, ref, kikn79,
WernerSobe, Redwine, GuillermoZS, keltos01, Mikhayl, Kriller2,
DrBeast, jimbob, Rubini, M. Sarsfield, miner1436, AVGWarhawk,
reallydedpoet, Subject, and those who have been debugging the file
formats long before me. If I have forgotten you, I apologize,
please PM or mail me in that case. This list may (and will) grow,
if you feel you need to be noted, be nice to me :)


3rd party components used:

C# HexBox free control - http://sourceforge.net/projects/hexbox/



I choose not to display explicitly who has donated. But thanks to 
those who have, it is appreciated. I use the fundings to keep 
S3D going (site, dev tools, etc.).


FINAL NOTES
-----------

While S3D is nearing version 1.0, this doesn't mean it doesn't contain 
any bugs and/or is more stable that previous releases.

If you run into issues please report them. My final word of advice is
backup often, and test your mods well before releasing them to the public.

Have fun using S3D!!

skwas
